Thursday, May 19, 2005

THE ICE KING

I wrap myself inside my skin
Trying to find the warmth
Roll up like a pill bug poked
Deep-down shiver in my bone-joints

Breath-steam curls about my face
Where it settles I'm even colder
Look across your pillowed head
Bite my cheek and turn away

Asleep I pull your lips to mine
Suck the marrow-heat from you
But, come the gray dawn haze, I find
My finger-tips are white, the nail-base blue

All Hail! The Ice King cometh! Put on
Your face and cheer him if you can
Though frost-bite threatens every limb
And leaf-bare twigs will break, not bend

And I will build a little ice cage
Keep you safe and keep you in
Place a sign before the door
Which bears the words, "Beware the beast"

You'd like it if I'd worship you
You'd like a throne and crown of gold
But all I get is frost from you
And all I'll render in return

All Hail! The Ice King cometh! Put on
Your face and cheer him if you can
Though frostbite threatens every limb
And leaf-bare twigs will break, not bend

I need a thaw to break this cold-snap
To start a fire in my soul
Blaze and burn from inside-out
For you are not, no, not enough

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home